"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Sunday, June 8, 2008

Problem or Solution?...that is the question

I need to admit something; a public confession to a delusional picture...
The truth:
we have too much JUNK! Too much accumulated throughout our 14 years together, having 4 children added to the piles, in addition to owning a large house to contain all the craziness.
When you enter the everyday living quarters you don't see this wasteland of rubbish but find a very organized spit-spot home. Secretly, I hide my "got-it-all togetherness" into the depths of the basement including the "we-can't-park-in-it -garage-because-it's chuck-full-of-nonsense!" Therefore, years later I am surrounded by an enormous task--Mission Impossible!

Hubby heartily uses a particular quote and I think that it needs to be engraved onto his tombstone, one day: "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution" Hmm, ironically, he owns 3/4 of the rubbish. But, upon marriage, in a sense, I agreed to this...heh hem...his madness. Okay! I won't blame here and no more excuses, either -- that would be a problem.
We are given a chance to undo this madness and make some sense out of the senseless gathering, storing, and hoarding.

Solution:
We will, naturally, have a Yard Sale, as this sounds better than advertising a Junk Sale, starting this Saturday and each Saturday till we move or until the junk is forever removed from the garage and basement, which ever comes first.
Those that know FDR and me, realize that we are taking one-step-at-a-time to improve on environmental problems and initiate solutions. I've purchased the recycled grocery bags to use again and again. For several months, I've saved plastic bags to use on Yard Sale Day and will hand them out to each customer with a grateful smile; instructing them to "Please take a bag and fill it with anything you like -- all for $1.00" I am not concerned about making a profit, just more about getting things out of here. "Everything must go!"

That is one problem, one solution down. So, let's see...oh, forget it! my list is way too long to number.

Packing is gradual, as I (we) tackle each room, focusing on one room per week. Anyone ever use those "As seen on TV" space-saver vacuum bags? Just curious...looks like a dandy useful idea!

So, if you're in the neighborhood and have an extra dollar, Stop by! Did I mention the family/friend discount? Anything you want is yours for FREE!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you ship to Texas? Just kidding...

Seriously, Shamassy, I will keep you and the family in my prayers. I know what is like to pack up your whole life and relocate to a completely different place...my wife and I have done it several times! It is not easy, even if it is for a good cause.

May the Lord bless you, the good deacon, and your precious children.