"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Everything is changing...


Indeed, a chuckle comes forth upon reading the title of my newfangled blog, of which was encouraged (or was that in jest, boys?), by two very dear friends, who had intrigued me to start a blog and title it "Everything down the chute!" Because whenever they are over, which is often, KJB and TJM hear me constantly tell my four lovely children to "throw everything down the chute". Each time, laughter arises and I am the brunt of their on-going teasing. You see, I am, somewhat, of a perfectionist, or so it seems, and I like to see "everything" in it's place or not seen at all.

Hence, this ritual has been going on for over 9 years, being one of the first accomplishments with each child we had. "Oh look, honey! Colin threw everything down the chute". I have had many surprises: half eaten apples, banana peels, my wallet, cellphone, dirty diapers, etc... The children are amused by this old invention and have many games with the one from upstairs to the middle floor to the basement and tend to hold meetings doing such shenanigans.

Why now, write about this? You see, we are leaving our beloved house and attending St. Vladimir's Theological Seminary this fall. There is no laundry chute, in fact, we are squeezing into a 2 bedroom apartment!

Therefore, I am placing "everything down the chute"...our life into God's hands. Most of our material possessions are going to the "land of garage sale", storage, or to friends. I am cleaning, purging, simplifying and it is well with my soul...satisfying and freeing!

Please be patient with me, as this is my first attempt at blogging, and bare with me as I ramble about raising 4 homeschooled children, be(coming)ing a clergy wife, and living at St. Vladimir's.

I gratefully accept your input along the way...for "no man is an island" remembering that "we are the Body of Christ"

Sadly, I am going to miss my laundry chute...
I fancy that I'll also miss the teasing from my dearest of friends.

6 comments:

Lenore said...

At 11:00 last night you said, "I am trying to figure out how to start my own blog." This afternoon I see how determined you really were! I am impressed. How witty! And WHERE do you find the time? I'm not even fully dressed yet! I look forward to frequent updates (although I already know what is going on in your world). Hearing it in your "writing voice" is so neat.

Kelleylynn said...

I'm not fully dressed, either!

Thanks for the encouragement and being the first to stop by...

Molly Sabourin said...

Well Done Kelleylynn! Congratulations! I think this is a great time in your life to start blogging. Not only is it encouraging to those who read it but it will also help you sort out the many new emotions and logistics that will come with this big change in your circumstances and surroundings. I love the title and I completely empathize with your intolerance for visible clutter!! Please post often and include plenty of organizing, mothering, and homeschooling tips!

Todd Mo said...

great job! This wil be the last time I read it.

h west said...

Yippee! Great post. I've always wanted a laundry chute. Glad to see FDR's wife blogging!!!!

Anonymous said...

We're going to be neighbors! I've read FDR's blog for years.