"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Tuesday, June 17, 2008

One, Two...Testing

I began the kids CAT (California Achievement Test) yesterday. These are incredibly basic exams but to the children: a dreaded task where they look at the test as pure punishment. "Insert the square peg into the round hole and you shall fail if it does not fit." Notice my sarcasm? We (FDR & I) don't particularly agree with standardized testing but it is "required" in New York State, so we oblige. The above cartoon just about sums up my reasoning. Although, it could be worse, if residing in California, where the parent is required to be certified when teaching a child at home. Can you say, "Constitutional Rights?" However, these little exams are the "red-tape" we need to place into the students records -- a piece of paper to forever keep in their education file. Okay, it helps me assess their strengths & weaknesses - basically speaking.
"It is so boring", says Colin. What did he want, a circus to come to town and present the test?! Ahhh! Sarcasm with my 11 year old...such sport! But he is correct...it's too easy for him.

"I can't understand what they are asking!", moans Hannah. She prefers me to sit near by for the entire test. "This", she says "helps me feel better." She finishes without a major melt down and that is a major accomplishment.

Colin, our eldest, aka "Mr. C" easily whipped through the test. However, throughout the year, he displayed laziness with disdain to every subject, except History and only when Daddy was teaching. I'm beginning to think that the "C" stands for "Couch-loafer" or more appropriate: "Con-artist." There is no doubt in my mind that he is a natural learner and is capable of doing way above his age/grade level. How to get him off the couch without threatening his life? Well, that is entirely a different undertaking. Someday, FDR and I would like our very own (small) working farm -- for we know, shoveling manure would do Mr. C some good!

Hannah, our second, surely plays the part of the eldest. She is continually reminded: "That I am the mother." She is organized and motivated BUT when she is not "in the mood"....watch out! Hmm...is she like me, after all?! She started the test beautifully eventually losing steam. I held Colin's easiness to her. This was not fair.

Colin and Hannah are clearly two different individuals with their own abilities and developments. While home schooling two, three and four...it's necessary to continually change your teaching methods -- to switch gears with each child. It can be trying...but when you assign according to your child's abilities, they are capable of so much -- more than you thought and attitudes seem to make the adjustment. Most days all it takes is letting go of your agenda.

We, as their parent/teachers, are here to guide their interests, talents, differences, and abilities and let them run with it...instructing them along the way according to The Church and God's perfect will. We are to assist in steering and not to hold on too tightly. As each year passes, my steering grip loosens, yet cautiously, as they learn how to live out God's will. I will continue to pray along the way that they stay the course and "fight the good fight!" in the hope that they become independent, yet completely dependent upon our Heavenly Father.
Something I am still striving for...taught through my children -- tested more than I ever thought possible! God is Good!

1 comment:

Molly Sabourin said...

Well, I certainly hope you plan to post blogs EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE every single day starting in the fall. If I do start needing your encouragement and advice twice rather than once a day, I'll let you know. :)