"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Friday, September 12, 2008

Remembering 9/11


On top of the Rockefeller Center Observatory 9/11/08

Visiting the top of Rockefeller Center was breathtaking!

As we meandered around the top deck (70 floors up) observatory, we froze in awe at the site you see. I observed a women, all alone, in tears and I, too, began to cry.

We were drawn into the city this evening... remembering the tragedy and that FDR was here 7 years ago. He helped during the aftermath with the IOCC (International Orthodox Christian Charities) in bereavement counseling. FDR remembers more than I can imagine of the enormous catastrophic size of 9/11. He remembers each person he spoke to and the emotions racked with pain and then, peace. A peace that came from a city pulling together -- united to get through this...and they are...year by year.

Memory Eternal!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We had a Panikhida at our church on 9/11 for all victims of terrorism. My priest reminded us, and I posted this in my blog, that we are called to love those who hate us. It's not always easy, but just hearing it, thinking it, saying it - I fill up with so much peace and love that I feel like it'll come spilling out of me.

::Sylvia:: said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes, Lord have mercy...