"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Friday, September 19, 2008

Be still


I follow a wonderful blog where this gifted mom of four, Molly (Close to Home -- check it out on my "wall of fame") blesses all her readers with a God-given talent of writing, and most recently photography, in the humblest manner with uncanny accuracy to empathize while exposing herself in beautiful transparent honesty.

Her latest entry, Aflame, struck me...hard. Particularly this section:

"I saw my own distracted soul, so easily put out by the mundane-ness of my chores, by children being children, and by the intensity of life I was created to live but so often water down because it's hard, good gracious is it hard, to deny yourself."

I've been preoccupied lately with "being" as I labor to deny myself to the will of God. Each time I *think* I am taking the right steps toward this state, I am hammered down to the ground. You know, like the wacky woodchuck game at the amusement park. "WHACK!"

I am distracted so easily for the exact same reasons Molly articulated.

Too often, I like to hear myself speak, bark orders, receive compliments on a delicious meal made for the family, for the way I keep house all tip-top. Mary Poppins would be so proud of me! Again, the same issue arises...I am not seeking what is needful. I am, too often, someplace else figuring out a way to dodge any future chaos, that ultimately springs up, so that I am prepared to chase it away with my orderly-ness. Ironically, this makes me distracted and unmanageable to be around. The pendulum swings...

I have a fancy for the Thesaurus. Finding different words to define my thoughts in many faceted ways captivates me...I am weird, peculiar, odd, I guess -- I suppose.

Upon looking up "Being" I am aware that I am made for "Actuality, Existence, Existing, Living, LIFE" where the opposite is "Nonexistence, expiration, Death"

"I must decrease so that He may increase"

Lovingly, we are encouraged to "Be still and know that I AM God..."

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm not very good at it, I'm sad to say.

Molly is a brilliant writer.

h west said...

Bark? I never bark. Ha! Glad to hear the Goo Goo Dolls today when I hopped onto your blog! Good post. It's making me think. . .

Molly Sabourin said...

Well, this was just the nicest and kindest post ever,Kelleylynn! I know I've said this before, but working through the spiritual and emotional issues I encounter on a daily basis WITH you all is so very, very healing for me. I have appreciated immensely your camaraderie, sense of humor, friendship and wisdom. Thank you!!

paige maddex said...

This certainly is a sweet post - of course I love Molly and her writing - but it struck me, reading your blog, that the Church is alive and well! How amazing, right?

So happy to learn that you liked The Cure : )