"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Thursday, January 29, 2009

Last word


Lately, okay more than once a day, I am entangled in this web of where I fail miserably in trying my hardest, against my will no less, in keeping my mouth shut. The battle of the wills surmounts in the never-ending need to get the last word in, or is that out? In other words, I would like to break the cycle of continuous arguments with my children.
This largely occurs with my older two whenever it comes to chores, school work, when, how long and where they can spend time with their friends. I mean every time I say "no", "did you do your chores?" or "How about finishing your Math" etc... The correct answer being: "yes, Ma'am" or "no, Ma'am". However, I hear moans, groans, and the infamous but, but...it's not my fault!

Now reader, we have schedules of "to-do" lists for the work that is expected to be accomplished throughout a given day -- for all within the family. No one is exempt...For Goodness sakes! this is not at all new to anyone. So why the resistance? Why the weeping and gnashing of teeth? ARGH!!!!


I realize that yes, in fact, I am the parent here and not trying to make friends with my on-the-threshold-adolescent children. On many occasions I have been dubbed "the mean mommy" Although, I know this is par-for-the-course, yet it stings...a tad bit. No mom wants to be the meany. Yet, I know my actions and reactions toward the children's balking is to be firm while being loving. I lose site of loving them while remaining firm and lose the firmness while loving. The truth is I have never done this before. I've never raised a "tween" nor read the-book-of-the-month-club and lack the wisdom to write one on this topic.
I love my children very much. Let me be honest, there are those times -- those moments when, well, I'd like to hop on the next available plane and head for Bali or Greece to escape it all. Reality hits knowing that I could not nor should I do this...unless, of course, the trip is well thought out and planned with my husband's blessing :)
While my finger-tips quickly form the words of my heated thoughts, dear hubby is preparing dinner, so that is an escape. In the background the two youngest are arguing about who knows what. Hannah puts out the fire. Colin helps his father set the table. It is, afterall, his "kitchen duty". So, that is also a break, right?
Be thankful in the small moments. Ah! yes, to remain grateful.
Pray for me, a sinful mother, who seriously has no clue what she is doing. I live and pray only by God's grace - day to day. Thank God that is all He gives us...any more and this gal would find the nearest crazy house. Oh yes, she already lives there...
"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth. A door of enclosure about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words, to make excuses in sins..."Psalm 140:3-4a

4 comments:

Pres. Kathy said...

Prayer is the only thing that can help us through our days as mothers and wives. May God bless your family!

Marsha said...

Pray for me, a sinful mother, who seriously has no clue what she is doing. I live and pray only by God's grace - day to day. Thank God that is all He gives us...any more and this gal would find the nearest crazy house. Oh yes, she already lives there...

Amen and Amen!!

Molly Sabourin said...

Great post, Kelleylynn! Very comforting to all of us trying to keep up with the ever changing stages of our growing children! Troy is always stopping me from talk, talk, talking and lecturing the kids about housework, etc. "You told them what you expected and there is nothing else to say." He is much better than I at quieting their excuses. But I, like you, feel this need to CONNECT and empathize with them while also demanding respect (sigh). Much prayer is needed indeed, for you and me both! :)

Kelleylynn said...

Thank you my dear co-struggles.

My burden is heavy because I cannot let go of my control-ness and trust only in God. He allows us to cast all our cares upon Him...Lord have mercy.
Yes, Pres. Kathy...many prayers, indeed
Molly, FDR does an incredible job with the kiddos and I thank the Good Lord each day the he is my husband who balances me so well. You are blessed as well.