"O Father, light up the small duties of this day's life: May they shine with the beauty of Your countenance. May we believe that glory can dwell in the most common task of every day."

Blessed Augustine of Hippo


Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bad day...


Still in a daze, my day was, how to say it...CRAZY! with one event leading to another.

I need to write it down as this day could be a scene from a movie or better yet in a "Callghan take me away" commercial with me as the typical type casted frazzled mom of 4!

10:25a.m - Running late to get child #1 off to a very exciting event where he with other children from Camp Good Days & Special Times will play hockey with a Buffalo Sabre. Why late: downloading picture off Internet for Mr.C to have a signed memorabilia.

10:45a.m - No time for breakfast because of reason #1. So, crazily drove through the local Dunkin Donuts for bagels and juice to only realize, when time to pay, that my credit card is not in my well organized wallet -- my mom used it the day before to fill up #2 vehicle and left it on the kitchen counter, where I did not enter this morning because check reason #1.

Needless to say, customer service at the drive-thru window was next to rudeness while she snorted in a scrunched up face "Well, what am I going to do with this huge order?!" "I can come back...", I say sheepishly. "CANCEL all those bagels!", she yelled to the bagel maker. As she turned to face me, she closed the drive-in window...I drove off frustrated and exceedingly hungry.

Racing back to fetch the forgotten credit card for I also needed to put gas in the van, since dear husband drove the night before and left it on "E".

10:55a.m - Ranting in heart pounding "we are going to be late" all the way (40 minute drive) and needing to be there by 11:30 -- "not gonna back it..."

11:28a.m. - Took the wrong exit because after all, I am too weak with hunger...

11:36a.m. - Arrived at Camp Good Days to a swarm of children and parents waiting in a line extending outside into the steamy just rained on parking lot. "Dang it - I can't just leave you here waiting like this"

I was impatient because I also need to meet hubby downtown Buffalo (back the other way 30 minutes) to sign closing papers at noon..."not gonna make it"

Having no cell phone, no cash added with my stomach producing angry sounds...I asked to borrow a phone to call FDR at work. He said that he would try to change the appt. to 1:00p.m. Freaking out inside, I faked a calm response "I'll try to get there..."

In the mean time, my other 3 not-so-well behaved and hungry children were impatiently waiting in the steamy van parked on the even steamier parking lot...

12:06p.m. - Filled tank up and went to McDonald's. We don't normally eat at McDonald's but this was an emergency and tasted....delicious!

12:11p.m. - From the far back of the van, child #4 is whining "I feel sick". I ask Hannah to step back there to help him and crank the A/C since it was becoming a hot sticky day.

Luke, who is not eating his chicken nuggets, starts to vomit into his happy meal bag while holding tightly to his new Transformer toy, yelling in between episodes"Watch my toy - not on my toy!" Hannah, at this moment, is not thrilled while hollering the obvious "He's puking!!!!!!!!!!"

Why not pull over? I cannot pull over because I am now on the Downtown Expressway (33) with no shoulder. Most dangerous place to drive or get into an accident...there are tall cemented walls to neighboring houses around you and traffic is NUTS!

12:35p.m. - Frantically arrive at Police Headquarters to pickup FDR...telling him about my stressful mid-morning commute.

12:40p.m. - While opening and stepping out of the car into the busy lunch time streets of downtown Buffalo, I managed to open our car door too wide and "WHACK!" I take off a passersby side view mirror.

As she pulls over, my husband the Accident Investigator, takes charge...I stood by helplessly with tears welling up in my eyes.

Turns out she was OK, thank God, and was not worried about the damage to her side mirror. The mirror actually shattered inside her car as her window was open. "Listen" she kindly stated while noticing that I was crying, "there are some things in life to be upset about, this is not one of them".

12:48p.m. - Without much of a thought and within 10 minutes, we sign the papers to close on our beloved house...

1:00p.m. - Take hubby back to headquarters -- got some cash and grabbed the cell phone from him. Headed back to pickup Colin, 30 minutes away, hoping that I had enough time to stop for a quick errand. I was beginning the start of a serious headache.

1:30p.m - "I feel sick" whines Luke again...and before I could pull over to find something...as a spectator through the rear view mirror, chocolate milk and french fries are the enormous mess I witness protruding from the boy.

Take note: this is our brand new van now christened with the undigested remains of Luke's lunch.

I pull over while Hannah, once again, hollers the obvious "Oh NO!! Lukey's puking AGAIN!!!!!!" I'm frazzled not knowing where to start this unpleasant task while grabbing what materials I had on hand (a few baby wipes and some used napkins) the remains going into unreachable crevices in the seats.

2:34p.m - Arrive at my mother-in-laws to clean the rest of the grossness as the children obviously unaware of my horrible day run off to play...

3:00p.m. - In weeping exhaustion, I collapse on my mother-in-laws couch

4:15p.m - Hubby comes to the rescue...he takes the whole family out for burgers and a bouncy, now healthy Luke, assuredly experienced car sickness, is requesting triumphantly "I feel better...I want ICE CREAM!"

Aware that these chain of events, in the grand scope of life, are essentially minor compared to others and realizing that this day could have fared worse; I'd be liar to say that none of this did not effect me...bodily and mentally.

In between episodes calling FDR, who remains calm, cool and always collected (must be a cop thing), reassures while encouraging me to "Give it to God, Kel, He will give you the strength and the endurance to keep going" I had no other choice -- couldn't ignore the wafting odor from the back seat or the chaos of this glorious day...

"I can do all things through Jesus Christ, who strengthens me"
even clean up...well, do I have to say it anymore?! Although, I did take the first opportunity to "crash"...now, tell me, dear FDR do you think I can get a massage? Just a thought...

4 comments:

Martha said...

Well, you DID close on the house, everyone is fine....I can totally sympathize with you, though, I've had super-stressful days like that!

Molly Sabourin said...

OH MY GOSH! My eye is totally twitching having just read about your horrible day!! Well, though, like Marfa said, you DID close on the house so congratulations! Now go and make that massage appointment.

p.s. I love the blog changes!!

Kevin B said...

Too bad, yours truly is going for a massage at 430. I liked the way your blog looked before you changes the heading pic.

Laura said...

Oh man...that was a doozie! I hope you have had a more relaxing day today and are feeling better...